SubjectRe: Linux isn't an operating system
Date
In article <19960307170024.3147.qmail@ns.crynwr.com>,
<nelson@crynwr.com> wrote:
>Richard Stallman writes:
>
> > I call these collections "Linux-based GNU systems" to help promote
> > unity and cooperation in the whole community.
>
>If it doesn't do that, will you stop?

Remember, RMS is speaking with an agenda here -- that is to spread
the Gospel of GNU. In large part I agree with the gospel itself,
however in this case I think it's silly to say ``Linux-based GNU
systems''. As others have said Linux itself _is_ an operating system,
as anyone with a CS degree will tell you. Is GNU underreported as
contributing to the success of Linux? Perhaps, but I don't think
so. The GPL is plastered across every Linux distribution I see.

Linux is a community effort. The GNU community is a part of that
effort (indirectly, if not directly). Do we need to say more?

--Dave

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:1.081 / U:0.856 seconds]