    SubjectRe: Linux isn't an operating system
    isn't there an advocacy newsgroup for gnu software?  this is pretty clearly
    off-topic. speaking from my own experience, it's very easy to get caught up
    in an advocacy thread, even when that thread is clearly off-topic. :) i
    also suspect that it will continue to generate flames as long as the
    originator keeps pursuing it here. ;)

    lilo

    On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Richard Stallman wrote:

    > I think I should explain the difference between "GNU software" and
    > "the GNU operating system". It would be inaccurate to say that a
    > system such Slackware consists mainly of GNU software, but correct I
    > believe to say it is mostly the same as the GNU system.
    >
    > I started the GNU project in 1984 with the aim of making a complete
    > free Unix-like operating system. I wrote some parts myself--GCC,
    > Emacs, GDB, and other smaller ones. Other people wrote other
    > components for the GNU project. These programs are GNU software.
    >
    > We also added to the GNU system some programs like X Windows and parts
    > of BSD which were written by other projects. These programs are not
    > GNU software, but they are parts of the GNU system (and parts of other
    > systems as well). When Linux was written, the GNU system was almost
    > complete, but lacking a kernel. Putting the incomplete GNU system
    > together with Linux realized my dream of a free operating system.
    >
    > In principle, there's no reason why a system based on Linux has to be
    > a variant GNU system, and perhaps some of them are not. But as far as
    > I know, most of them currently are.
    >
    > To speak of "Linux Based MIT X Windows/GNU/BSD/MIT systems" would be
    > correct. But people may find it impractical. The term "Linux-based
    > GNU system" is also correct, and it is practical.
    >
    > By using this term, we can help encourage people to work together
    > instead of dividing themselves artificially into "Linux users" and
    > "GNU users". This solves an important practical problem.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.020 / U:59.028 seconds]