    SubjectRe: Linux isn't an operating system
    Date
    > I would expect that most of the people who speak of "the Linux
    > operating system" think of this as just a minor lack of precision.

    Its no more/less precise than the idea that Linux is primarily GNU code
    or even needs FSF code (though without the FSF code it would probably
    have been a shadow of its current self by now).

    > discourage communication and cooperation. When the people who use
    > what is essentially the GNU system think of themselves as "Linux
    > users", and not as "GNU users", often they don't see a reason
    > cooperate with the people who maintain the GNU software. This leads
    > to version-skew and unnecessary incompatibility.

    I've some peripheral experience of GNU maintainers including patches
    that never got in to the mainstream GNU code for a very long time [We
    for example use Algorithmics MIPS tools based on GNU code not GNU's
    own code because the Algorithmics ELF stuff worked, was contributed back
    to GNU and nothing had happened since]. Other changes like the fix to
    make dc handle the 'P' command that were contributed by Linux users
    over a year ago never got put in either. Thats one reason for version
    skew .. keeping up.

    That says to me the maintainers need to work more closely, and maybe
    with more of them.

    > One way to help unify the community, and gently encourage more
    > cooperation, is to use the term "Linux-based GNU system" to
    > describe these systems more accurately.

    Do you realise RMS how much some people resent the GNU way of thinking
    thats gone through the years from missing out basing Hurd on UZI,
    concentrating on the grand goals of the Hurd(see "second system effect")
    and saying Linux was an irrelevant stopgap to what people now see almost
    as a borg like 'assimilation' attempt.

    I'm not saying these people are right, but do be aware of the attitude.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.025 / U:0.596 seconds]