    SubjectRe: Linux isn't an operating system
    >     Since when has an operating system been defined as "a kernel and many
    > other programs?"
    > It always has been, since the time we first had operating systems.

    I see you are fond of quoting science fiction.

    A quick glance through Andrew Tanenbaum's _Modern Operating Systems_
    finds an operating system defined as 1) a virtual machine that is
    easier to program then the underlying hardware and 2) a resource
    manager. A likewise look in H.M. Deitel's _Operating Systems_ defines
    an modern operating system as software, primarily resource managment,
    that makes hardware useable. He also suggests that the best definition
    of past operating systems as software that controls the hardware.

    We are Linux users.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.016 / U:0.108 seconds]