SubjectRe: Security Hole?
In message <199603032103.QAA04582@infoweb.magi.com>, dmtech@magi.com writes:
>Wanted to get some EXPERT opinion on this...
>
>I've noticed that the linux kernel allows anyone to freely
>request/release IRQ, DMA, and I/O. Is this a security
>hole, or am I missing something that only allows root to
>do these things?

No. You can only call it from within kernel code, and you can only
install new kernel code if you have root access.

>Is it necessary to add anything for security?

No.

>Or should the status quo be maintained?

Yes. Any sane kernel code is going to do a suser() check if it's going
to be letting tainted data affect what's accessable.

--
You too can commit two felonies by using this .sig:
Eat bite fuck suck gobble nibble chew; nipple bosum hairpie finger-fuck screw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.047 / U:0.052 seconds]