SubjectRe: Modules dependencies in 1.3.79 (was Re: Linux 1.3.78, Token Ring)

sb> It sure would be nice at some point to be able to save object code
sb> and do the BSDish
sb> # config KERNEL
sb> # make
sb> and not have to recompile everything.

Alan> You don't need make clean if the dependancies are right and make depend
Alan> was modified to zap old .ver files.

Is this true even if changing architectures, like going from Pentium
to 486?

Alan> It is about time for "make theworks"

Sounds good. I'd also like to see a target that could perform the
make install; make modules_install (from a freshly built source tree
on another machine) steps from a read-only file system. When I
attempt to do this over NFS GNU Make always seems to insist on
performing a lot of gratuitous recompilation.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.146 / U:0.404 seconds]