SubjectRe: Named pipes - slightly broken in new kernels
On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:

> > I've been using a named pipe as an output file for all syslog'd events,
> > and then hooking xconsole to it when I boot X. This is how Debian sets
> > up xconsole, BTW. It has worked fine up until recently, around 1.3.74.
> > Now, when syslog starts on bootup, it pauses a long time and complains
> > about an interrupted system call, and when xconsole runs, it doesn't see
> > any messages on the pipe until I send syslogd a SIGHUP. Has someone
>
> have you tried to change the priority levels in syslog.conf ?
> if i remember correctly, the priority of some kernel messages has been
> raised recently. so it might be, that you have you pipe filled before
> xconsole is able to drain it. i got bitten by this problem, when i tried
> to redirect the XFree86 output to the named pipe. there is, however. some
> kind of workaround: cat the output of the named pipe to a file in /tmp
> util xconsole is running. then kill the cat'ing process. cat the
> contents of the file to the named pipe and erase the file. worked for
> me, but it is rather ugly and i'm not using it anymore.

I do the following: syslog writes in a file and a tail -f reads from this
file and write the contents to the pipe. This works very well.

ron

--
\ Ronald Wahl --- rwa@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de \
\ WWW: http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~row \

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.058 / U:0.132 seconds]