SubjectRe: NCSA telnet doesn't work any more
Jacek Zapala (jacek@deuter.im.pw.EDU.PL) wrote:

: I have already posted this in linux-net, but got no single response. Now
: I have some more data, so I'm posting this once more.

NCSA telnet is broken, it cannot talk with Solaris2.x, OSF/1
and with Linux > 1.3.3?. The cause is TCP Path MTU Discovery algorithm.

These OSes send all the TCP segments with DF flag (Do not Fragment) set
to automatically determine maximal MTU of the path.

NCSA telnet incorrectly interpret the corresponding field
in the IP packet and drops datagrams.

I tried to report this bug to NCSA telnet maintainers, but
I found that it seems to be not more supported.

You have three ways to overcome this problem:

1. Just drop NCSA telnet (the most clever 8)
2. To fix this bug or to try to awake its maintainers. (the most difficult)
3. While configuring Linux answer Y to the following question:

: IP: Disable Path MTU Discovery (normally enabled)
: (CONFIG_NO_PATH_MTU_DISCOVERY) [N/y/?]

(the simplest, but the most silly way)

Alexey Kuznetsov.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.075 / U:1.316 seconds]