SubjectRe: Some random questions about config options
Date
Axel Boldt asked:

> * When using CONFIG_SCSI_PPA for the IOMEGA ZIP drive, what should
> be done about CONFIG_PLIP and CONFIG_PRINTER? Do these options
> exclude each other? Should they be compiled as modules and always
> only one of them inserted?

When I integrated the ppa driver, I also added command line configuration
for the lp driver. That makes it possible to have both drivers built
in and configured for different ports with LILO or LOADLIN. For PLIP,
(as I understand it) the driver doesn't attempt to allocate the
ports and interrupts until it is ifconfig'ed, so I didn't feel that any
changes were necessary.

The new lp= options are documented in drivers/scsi/README.ppa, and I
also sent a note to Paul Gortmaker for inclusion in the BootPrompt-HOWTO.

If one wants to use lp, PLIP and ppa all on the same port, then the
drivers should be built as modules and only one of them loaded at any
point in time. (Some people have reported success loading both
the ppa and lp drivers simultaneously on the same port to handle a printer
chained off a ZIP drive, but I think this is extremely foolish - at least
until there is some protocol devised for synchronising access to the parallel
port.)

Please let me know if you think the README.ppa file needs clarification.
I believe that Scot Wilcoxon is working on an updated ZIP drive HOWTO,
we'll have to be sure it includes this stuff, as well ...

Grant R. Guenther grant@torque.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.055 / U:0.072 seconds]