    SubjectRe: Zftape in kernel ?

    > Compression means "software compression a la gzip"? I don't see why
    > compression has to happen inside the driver. You can do it in
    > hardware or at user-level.

    Using gzip runs the risk of losing all of your backup data. zftape does
    block level compression so losing some blocks won't be nearly as bad as
    losing your entire backup. Obviously a block under zftape will represent
    a bit more data than a block written with ftape.

    I had mentioned to the ftape author that integrating the features of
    zftape back into ftape would be really nice and would eliminate the need
    for two separate packages floating around.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.017 / U:4.720 seconds]