SubjectRE: 1.3.76 and VT switching
Can someone give me instructions to get off of this list please, it is much to busy fo me.

Steve Groner

From: Ulrich Windl[]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 1996 11:28 PM
To: Thomas K/nig
Subject: Re: 1.3.76 and VT switching
On 19 Mar 96 at 16:12, Thomas König wrote:

> I just had a rather strange experience with 1.3.76. I had just
> connected to a few thousand hosts (using ssh-keyscan) and was
> recompiling the kernel, when I wanted to switch virtual terminals.
> The system didn't react to this for a few seconds at a time. I could
> scroll back in the VT with immediate effect, and pressing Enter also
> worked.
> After a few seconds, the switches were indeed done; apparently,
> no keystrokes were lost, the system just waited for a few seconds
> before doing anything.
> At the time, nothing was in swap; due to the kernel compilation, there
> was a rather high disk activity, though.

I noticed that around '71 disk buffers (or call it cached data) go a
bit too low sometimes. Then response time can be bad. Maybe there are
some tuning measures?

BTW. Wondering about the rising temeratures in spring, I wonder if a
code freeze is still possible. Maybe we should try it one more before
it gets really hot ;-)