SubjectRe: 1.3.76 and VT switching
On 19 Mar 96 at 16:12, Thomas König wrote:

> I just had a rather strange experience with 1.3.76. I had just
> connected to a few thousand hosts (using ssh-keyscan) and was
> recompiling the kernel, when I wanted to switch virtual terminals.
> The system didn't react to this for a few seconds at a time. I could
> scroll back in the VT with immediate effect, and pressing Enter also
> worked.
>
> After a few seconds, the switches were indeed done; apparently,
> no keystrokes were lost, the system just waited for a few seconds
> before doing anything.
>
> At the time, nothing was in swap; due to the kernel compilation, there
> was a rather high disk activity, though.

I noticed that around '71 disk buffers (or call it cached data) go a
bit too low sometimes. Then response time can be bad. Maybe there are
some tuning measures?

BTW. Wondering about the rising temeratures in spring, I wonder if a
code freeze is still possible. Maybe we should try it one more before
it gets really hot ;-)

> --
> Thomas Koenig, Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig25@dkauni2.bitnet.
> The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double
> logarithmic diagram.

Ulrich

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.034 / U:0.116 seconds]