    SubjectRe: CONFIG_PNP: Please change the name
    Date
    >Yes. But I assume these are software issues that can be overcome by
    >a properly written resource manager for linux. I like jumpers but
    >the promise of a system where you just "plug and play" is to tempting
    >to pass up.

    Agreed, and now there is *NO* choice in some cases to not use
    "plug and play".

    >> A good Example are the new Teles 1.3 ISDN Cards. You can configure them
    >> only under Windows or dos, and you can only stick two of them in one system
    >> cause they have only 2 config-ports.
    >>
    >But thats a fault of Teles. Non PnP soft config works well with the 3com
    >enet cards. Again, a good resource manager should do the best it can
    >with the hardware at hand.

    Agreed. They ought to have known better - and then people
    shouldn't buy such junk, and force them to change.

    (Note: Obviously Teles didn't intend the ISDN cards to be
    used in a server requiring multiple lines. Somebody bought
    a product intended for a different market and/or a different use.)

    >> Of course PNP is very helpfull (Eisa, MCA, PCI) if it works right... the
    >> question is... does it work right? :)
    >>
    >This is the big question. I am only concerned with linux for now so if
    >PnP for linux works well I dont care if Win95 is a "disaster".
    >We have the option to disable PnP with a jumper and then we have a
    >"simi" soft config. The config port is jumpered in that case but the dual
    >port ram and irq is soft config via the jumpered i/o.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Mike Kilburn

    At least *somebody* understands! :-)

    -- Andrew E. Mileski --
    mailto:dmtech@magi.com http://www.redhat.com/~aem/
    "The best programmers are lazy", so I'm told.
    I haven't gotten around to seeing if it is true or not though.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.029 / U:119.480 seconds]