    SubjectRe: CONFIG_PNP: Please change the name
    Mike Kilburn wrote:
    > > Anno Domini 15 Mar 96 at 19:32 wrote
    > > Not trying to discourage anybody doing development for Linux, this
    > > is one area where great care must be observed.
    > > The Notorious Plughg-and-Pray system. IMHO its useless in its best
    > > and a total disaster on its worst.
    > One of our engineers is busy adding PnP to our ISA WAN board. He thought
    > the system was quite nice. After reading the specs from Intel, I also
    > thought is was a good system. Why do you think its useless? I would
    > be very interested in any pitfalls you are aware of.

    My personal experience borders on the disaster side. When
    I decided to upgrade my periperals. 28,800 Modem, Sound Card,
    Scanner I ran into some real pains in getting both Linux and
    Win95 working on the same machine. I have both SCSI and IDE
    drives in my system as well as ethernet. I ended up getting cards
    that had jumper options that allowed me to overide plug and play if I
    needed to. I think the problem is that the concept is not totally
    debugged and implemented. It may work fine on a totally plug & play
    system, but do you want to make your cards success dependent on
    every other card in the target system. I hope you leave yourself
    an out that allows a power user to manually overide plug and play.
    It is much harder to get a card to do what your system requires
    when the card decides it is smarter than you. That is my main problem
    with plug and play. It makes you fight a slightly smart system
    who thinks it is smarter than the user.

    Plug and Play is nice if the automatic answers work. If not
    they are a disaster.

    Hubert Bahr
    PS. I have 20 years experience of design and use of Micro's so it
    isn't newbie problems but the Power User who tries to fix the
    Newbie problems that feel plug and play are disasters.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.018 / U:18.768 seconds]