SubjectRe: Is anyone using EXT FS
>>>Can we get rid of the ext fs?
>>The ext filesystem is useful as a reference, to show where ext2 came
>>from, and illustrate what to avoid when creating a filesystem.

I admit I sort of like this attitude, that the source code is meant to
be a historical document. I'm not sure it's practical, though.

mrodin@imsa.edu writes:
>no one is suggesting that the ext fs should be thrown away permanently
>or any such nonsense. in fact, there is no reason why all the old kernel
>segments shouldn't still be available somewhere. but the source distribution
>doesn't need to include them all.

Awhile ago there was a discussion about whether more things could be
distributed as loadable modules. The consensus seemed to be that stuff
used in Linux should all be put in one tar file, because it makes it
easier to keep everything up to date.

Here's an example where having a separate kernel module distribution
would be perfect. Only people who really want to see the old ext
filesystem code would get it. And, if it is true that the ext
filesystem hasn't even been updated to stuff in quite awhile, then the
argument about keeping everything up to date doesn't apply.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:1.487 / U:1.064 seconds]