SubjectRe: console bacground color and blanking
On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Mika Raento wrote:

> Noticing that the newer kernels support my video card better I switched
> from 80x25 to 132x44 as my console text mode. The smaller letters are
> a bit harder on the eyes so I wrote a short c prog (I can mail it if
> someone wants me to) to change the console background color and used it
> to change the color to a more peaceful dark blue.
>
> To my dismay I noticed that now the console blanking didn't switch to a
> black screen anymore, but to a blue screen (serves me right for changing
> the bg color by using a ioctl :-). I think it might be a more acceptable
> behaviour if blanking the console would change the background to black as
> well.

Hmm, that's strange. I use setterm -background blue -store on all my
consoles, and blanking still does work as expected (but this is perhaps
not the shade of blue you are using...). The only problem I have with
this is with programs using ncurses changing the background to black when
clearing to end of line, which looks rather ugly. Interestingly, jed
(using SLang) does not have this problem...

Greetings, Swen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.909 / U:0.032 seconds]