SubjectRe: Genius B105 handscanner driver

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Jared Mauch wrote:

> Nathan Bryant graced my mailbox with this long sought knowledge:
> > On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Jared Mauch wrote:
> >
> > > Several things that everyone should note:
> > >
> > > Most software licenses say you can't disassemble their code,
> > > but many companies have NDA's (Non-Disclosure Agreements) that they
> > > will make you sign before they give you technical information about
> > > their products.
> > >
> > > I wouldn't want to see people in the (linux) community creating
> > > drivers/software where the procedures taken to create it are illegal.
> > >
> > > APC is one such company, I know there are many more, and I
> > > applaud those companies, and think it is a great thing.
> >
> > What are you saying??? APC does not give out specifications for their
> > SmartUPS. And you think this is a "great thing?!?" It's harmful to the
> > industry as a whole.
>
> No.
>
> APC gives out the information, but you need to sign a non-disclosure
> agreement. It says you won't give the specs to their competition.

Same difference. Either way, the specs are unusable to the Linux
community.

And you think this is a "great thing?"

| Nathan Bryant | Resident Unix Geek |
| nathan@burgessinc.com | Burgess Business Solutions, Inc. |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.418 / U:0.820 seconds]