    SubjectRe: source dependencies cleanup? (fwd)

    > Oh, one other things, while I'm thinking of it. I know this was brought up
    > quite some time ago (I think it was as far back as 1.1.x) but I don't
    > remember the outcome.
    > The question is: is there any GOOD reason why the Configure program is
    > still written as a bash script? I'm a big fan of Perl myself, and I'd say
    > it's reasonable to expect anyone who is configuring and compiling their
    > own kernel to have Perl installed. Obviously we wouldn't want to depend on
    > my particular Perl _libraries_ being installed, just the bare necessities.
    > The reason I ask is that if/when I do start rewriting Configure to
    > seperate dependancy information, Perl would make the program much easier
    > to write.

    Perl is not available on all systems, but bash is (I think it is a
    requirement for compiling the kernel, isn't it?).

    As for alternative configuration programs, those already exist too
    for curses and X, though I think they could be improved (simplified).

    What would be a _GREAT_ idea, is to write a configuration program
    for all the niggling little bits, like changing NR_* easily, so that below
    average chimp intelligence is required :-)

    Andrew E. Mileski
    Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project
    XFree86 Matrox Team

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:7.340 seconds]