    SubjectRe: 64 Bit?
    Date

    Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.95.961203060638.4330B-100000@lorien.ml.org>
    By author: Michael Ballbach <ballbach@lorien.ml.org>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > This is a fairly simple question, could someone tell me about the 64 bit
    > capabilities of linux? I set up a pentium 133 with slackware, and am
    > running the 2.1.14 kernel. I have 16 meg of ram, with 16 more coming, a
    > gig hd, and a jaz drive. Anyhow, I was intriged when I saw something about
    > linux and 64 bit, so I thought I'd ask. Hope this is ok for this list.

    Well, it's not (rather it belongs in comp.os.linux.misc or possibly
    comp.os.linux.development.system), but I'll answer anyway:

    Linux is 64 bits on the Alpha, and only on the Alpha, since it is the
    only 64-bit architecture supported. MIPS and SPARC have recent 64-bit
    extensions, but I am fairly certain they are only supported in 32-bit
    mode. The i386 is inherently a 32-bit architecture (with 16-bit
    compatibility) and will not support any 64-bitness.

    -hpa
    --
    This space intentionally has nothing but text explaining why this
    space has nothing but text explaining why this space would otherwise

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:3.030 / U:0.080 seconds]