SubjectSCSI timeouts with Advansys driver under Linux

Hi all,

I've been experiencing some SCSI timeouts on a system with an Advansys
ABP5140 and an Adaptec 1542. The Advansys card is the one distributed with
the HP 4020i CD-R drive.

The CD-R drive is connected to the Advansys card; my hard drive is
connected to the Adaptec. After succcessfully reading data from the CD-R
for several minutes, I get a timeout. Here's the message:

scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 7890, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
lun 0 Read (6) 00 a4 4a 08 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 7890, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
lun 0 Read (6) 00 a4 4a 08 00
scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
advansys: advansys_reset: timeout serial number changed for request 256808

At this point, the "cat" process which was reading from the cd drive
blocks and becomes unkillable. Any process which calls sync() blocks
forever and becomes unkillable.

I doubt resource conflicts are the cause of my woes; I have successfully
mastered several CD's with this card, under Linux, with no problems until
now.

The system is an AST Premmia 4/33s (EISA bus) with 32M RAM. (Should I
downgrade the box to 16?)

| Nathan Bryant | Resident Unix Geek |
| nathan@burgessinc.com | Burgess Business Solutions, Inc. |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.250 / U:0.060 seconds]