SubjectRe: Serious ext2fs problem
   From: Chris Adams <cadams@ro.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 14:04:26 -0600 (CST)

I think there is a bug in ext2fs. I have a news server that has a DPT
3224 RAID adapter with a 10G RAID 0 array attached. I am running RedHat
4.0, Linux 2.0.27, and INN 1.4unoff4. I also have applied the "noatime"
patch to the kernel, and mount the news spool with the noatime option.
>From time to time, INN will think the disk is full because it gets an
error trying to write. The kernel log has lines like:

EXT2-fs error (device 08:31): ext2_new_block: Free blocks count corrupted for block group 546

in it when this happens (device 8:31 is /dev/sdd1, which is the RAID
disk). I have shutdown INN, unmounted the disk, and run fsck on it, but
that never finds any errors. I also re-made the filesystem on it once,
and that seemed to help for a while, but now I am getting errors again,
and fsck won't fix them.

Please read the e2fsck man page about "reporting bugs", where it
describes how to report a coherent bug report so that I have a chance of
trying to help you. (Silly things like exactly which version of e2fsck
you are using, etc....)

Also, you *did* run fsck using the -f flag, to force checking the
filesystem, *right*? :-)

Fsck most certainly does check to make sure the free block count is
correct. So either there's some sort of kernel bug, or hardware bug,
assuming that e2fsck really had a chance to do its thing. (If the clean
bit was set, even though the filesystem had errors, using the -f flag is
important since it forces e2fsck to check the filesystem even if the
clean bit is set.)

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.726 / U:0.260 seconds]