    SubjectRe: PNP patch into kernel when?

    On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Philip Blundell wrote:

    > I'm not sure either that the new name _will_ save any thinking time (is
    > "interrupt" really any less obvious than "irq"?) [..]

    ok, but you were complaining about request_region().

    the PNP patch renames request_region because it introduces new concepts of
    hardware-resource management. All request_ functions are piped to a
    central 'request_hw_region()' function, with the appropriate flag. The
    'IO-region' is just a special flag. If we use the PNP patch, it would be
    very misleading to have 'request_region'. Why should 'request_region'
    be special?

    [dont misunderstand me: wether these new concepts are correct is not up to

    I will be asked by my grandchildren in quite some years, and i can only
    answer 'in those old 2.1 days when the PNP patch came into the kernel,
    there we had an old function called request_region()'. And they will think
    'hey what an old idiot', and they will be right :)

    -- Ingo 'huh, hope this wasnt a flame :)' Molnar

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.016 / U:11.852 seconds]