    SubjectRe: Strange OOPS in 2.0.25 kernel

    > On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Tyson D Sawyer wrote:
    > > In every case the EIP (extended instruction pointer) indicates that
    > > the code was attempting to access a value in memory. The address
    > > of that value (according to the instruction and the value of the index
    > > register used) is different by the 2 most significant bits from what
    > > the processor attempted to access. That is noticed by the most
    > > significant nibble changing from 0 to c in every oops as I marked by the
    > > *'s in the context above.
    > No, this is a real bug - a null pointer passed in %ecx which the kernel
    > tries to dereference. It gets it from

    Well, I tried. :-{

    I think that in only one case the pointer was NULL. What about the others?
    I had forgotten about the 0 page in Linux and so didn't catch the NULL.

    > Ionut
    > --
    > It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    > than to open it and remove all doubt.

    Looks like I should have followed your advice. ;-)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:10.832 seconds]