SubjectRe: RFC: Modified FAT filesystem driver?

On 2 Dec 1996, Mike Bristow wrote:

> While I like the idea of automagically mounting msdos/vfat as
> appropriate I'm not sure it's easily to do well enough.

If this isn't done automagically, how can things be arranged so umsdos or
its successor can be used on top of either? Right now, I have to choose
between using my 1.7gig Winblows95 partition with Win95 long filenames or
using it with owners and permissions and such. That's a choice I'd rather
not have to make.

Might this involve having four filesystem types: msdos, umsdos, vfat,
and uvfat? That would be a pain in the a** even with kerneld.

Is it possible to make the vfat extensions a mount option to msdos/umsdos?

TTYAL,
Omega

Erik Walthinsen - Programmer, webmaster, 3D artist, etc. __
__ / /\
/ \ omega@sequent.com Work: (503)578-5314 / / \
| | M E G A omega@teleport.com Home: (503)281-4281 / / /\ \
_\ /_ psu12113@odin.cc.pdx.edu Majoring in CS / / /\ \ \
Omega Station: http://www.teleport.com/~omega/ /________\ \ \
Info on Linux, Graphics, Descent, Laptops, etc. \___________\/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.034 / U:0.924 seconds]