    SubjectRe: Two 3COM Etherlink III netcards in one box

    On Thu, 26 Dec 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:

    > > I tried to put two 3com netcards in one box (to make it act as a router)
    > > but I couldn't get it to initialise the second one. Both works fine alone
    > > and I made sure there wasn't any conflicts. I use the module version of
    > > the driver specifying both base address and irq with insmod (also tried
    > > /etc/conf.modules with depmod).
    > >

    > Ok, exactly which driver is that (3c5??), and what did you tell the module
    > ?

    3c509.o with kernel 2.0.27.

    > Was it something like:
    >
    > insmod 3c5whichever.o io=0x0230,0x0240 irq=5,6

    That gives me one interface on 230h. There is no trace of the one at 240h.

    > where card one is at io 0x0230, and irq 5; and the other is at 0x0240, and
    > irq 6 (I don't know if all modules can accept multiple values, or the
    > leading zero after the "0x", but ideally they should). If that dosn't
    > work, you can always use the -o parameter to insmod to allow multiple
    > instances of the driver, like so:
    >
    > insmod 3c5whichever.o io=0x0230 irq=5 -o some_significant_name
    > insmod 3c5whichever.o io=0x0240 irq=6 -o some_other_significant_name

    The second insmod fails with "Initialization of
    some_other_significant_name failed". After that there is no way to get in
    touch with the second 3com. Even if I unload the first driver, the second
    one fails. I can still reload the first driver again. And if I reboot the
    system and load the second card first, its the first card that disappears.

    Baldur

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:3.466 / U:0.012 seconds]