    SubjectRe: name space analysis and patches, 2.1.17

    On 23 Dec 1996, David Hinds wrote:

    > : insmod io=0x260 irq=11 wrt.o
    >
    > : And probably this is inside a #ifdef MODULE, so you hav'nt problems with
    > : name clashes when compiling it into the kernel...
    >
    > insmod will let you set the value of a static symbol -- there is no
    > need to make a parameter external. I've always coded these as static
    > on moral grounds.

    You are right, insmod _does_ also take static symbols as params.
    However, there is a DOWN SIDE with static params:
    you can't strip the modules from unneeded static symbols, such as

    ld -r -s -o stripped_mod.o unstripped_mod.o

    This is important, if you want to generate a modularized boot disk using
    'initrd' and need to keep the modules small.
    ( and distributors are happy, that they can have modularized booting now )

    > I think cleaning up all these external definitions is an excellent
    > idea, even if it doesn't cause any obvious problems with modules as
    > they are currently used. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    See above.

    _cleaning_ is always good, however, _purging_ needs some more detailed
    discussions ;-)

    Hans
    <lermen@fgan.de>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.021 / U:3.968 seconds]