SubjectRe: NT vulnerable to attack on CPU

>put a cronjob to run a bomb and this won't have any effect.
>ie. linux limits (and prolly most unicees) are useless.
>I'm prolly going to hack the kernel a bit to do the following:
>certain limit for uid's < 1000
>and certain limit for uid's > 1000 (users)

I've been thinking of doing a similar hack. However what I would do is put
some files under /proc/sys to specify the UID number that differentiates system
processes from user processes (it's UID 100 on my systems but other people will
have different numbers) and to specify the number of processes for users (it
would be a PITA if you hard-coded this into the kernel and then installed a
program which couldn't run properly without the number being increased).
Another thing I've been thinking about is the possibility of adding more
classes of users. EG Staff could be allowed to run more processes than average
users, but we still need some limits (can't give them no limits as we do with
system UIDs).

What do you think?

Russell Coker

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.050 / U:0.484 seconds]