SubjectRe: How do I kill a process that is locked to a resource

From: Albert Cahalan <albert@ccs.neu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 00:00:00 -0500 (EST)

I wish ext2 (and others) would mark the filesystem clean and flush
pages to disk when filesystem activity stops. Then supermount would
work better and a crash would leave most filesystems marked clean.

This is possible, although there are a couple of complications:

1) There would need to be some definition of "filesystem
activity stops"
2) During the time while pages are being flushed out to disk, a
global lock on any filesystem activity would have to be
asserted. (There are some more complicated schemes
that could be done, but they are really special cases of
ordered writes).
3) After the clean bit is set, if any changes are made to the
filesystem, the first thing that *must* happen is that
the superblock must be rewritten with the clean bit
turned off. Once again, we need to guarantee some
ordered writes in order to prevent race conditions from
happening.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.048 / U:0.016 seconds]