    SubjectRe: Monochrome support

    On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Jeff Coy Jr. wrote:

    > Is there currenty or is there going to be support for monochrome moniters
    > in Linux? I have a 2nd computer, but the only moniter available for it is
    > monochrome.

    There is. One of my machines is running with a Hercules mono card.

    > It works fine in DOS, but under Linux I get a blinking cursor 8 lines from
    > the bottom of the screen in the far leftmost column, rather than at the
    > point where I am typing. This cursor never moves. I've looked in video.S
    > and it doesn't look like there is any support for monochrome moniters, but
    > I'm hoping I'm just missing something.

    video.S is the wrong place to be looking - that code only does the initial
    video setup at boot time. You want vga.c in drivers/char; for better or
    worse, VGA is mostly register-level compatible with the old 6845-based

    It sounds like there is some bug which stops your card working properly.
    What sort of card is it?

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.027 / U:12.132 seconds]