SubjectRE: Compressed device driver?

> I was intersted in a compressed filesystem for Linux and I found this:
>
> > Begin3
> > Title: double: on-the-fly disk compression driver for Linux
> > Version: 0.4l
> > Entered-date: 21APR95
disk
> > compression, with patches for Linux 1.2.5, and utilities
> It is very old, and adapting it to kernel 2.0.xx seems quite
> time-consuming (at least for me), but I'd really like to use it
> with the 2.0.xx kernels.
>
> Is anyone working on it? Is anyone insterested in it?
Really, with the price of _HUGE_ diskdrives down in the weeds, I don't think
a compressed filesystem is useful. I used to run Stacker & Doublespace on
MSDOS---performance was bad, and minor disk errors would corrupt you entire
disk. Got rid of them as soon as possible.

Local Egghead store is selling a package--Maxtor 2.1 GB disk and a backup
tape drive for $300. This is _almost_ pocket change!

-30- Ray

> Massimiliano Ghilardi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.038 / U:0.276 seconds]