    SubjectRe: severe ld.so bug !!
    Date

    > i recall working wonders with 'ln' and 'mv' on a sunos box with corrupted
    > libraries. looking at a sunos 4.1.3 box i see that init=/bin/sh would
    > have worked (wow! cuz /bin/sh is staticly linked as it should be). and a
    > handful of useful things in /bin and /etc are static (such as mount,
    > ifconfig, update, fsck, hostname, ldd, tar, sh, mv, ln). you can do lots
    > with these.

    there are very few people who can locate and repair such lockup problems
    with only a few tools (a complete recue disk won't help them too much).
    the tradeoff between this failsafe feature and the memory comsumption
    esp. for a statically shell (ok, it could be a separate binary) is too high IMHO.

    and Murphy's law for corrupted systems clearly says that there is always
    one (the important one) tool missing on your list of static helpers...

    > on my redhat system a brief look at /bin and /sbin reveals only a couple
    > static bins namely "ldconfig" and the e2fs tools (which are only static
    > cuz the author knows they should be). this situation should be improved.
    > the little bit of extra disk space used by staticly linking a few bins is
    > cheap.

    ldconfig is enough to fix at least this ld.so problems so "init=/sbin/ldconfig"
    would have been ehough to "fix" once you know the problem, no static shell needed...

    > you'll all think i'm crazy until the day it would have saved you some
    > precious minutes of downtime. take action! write your local governments
    > or at least the author of your favorite distribution!

    if you have such a downtime, use a recue floppy, a installation system or similar.
    you will need them anyway in case of a corrupted root file system where all
    your static tools won't help anymore. and there is no time saving at all
    using one on-disk recovery for some problems; a floppy-based recovery for
    others then you've to be familar with both. use one tool all the time
    and improve that one...

    Harald
    --
    All SCSI disks will from now on ___ _____
    be required to send an email notice 0--,| /OOOOOOO\

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.022 / U:4.064 seconds]