SubjectRe: Proposal: restrict link(2)

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > Hard links are pretty useful for sharing large files. When I was in
> > university, I used to make links to large programs compiled by other
> > users - like gdb, irc, etc. In this way it didn't take any additional
> > disk space and if the owner deleted the program later, I still had a
> > copy.
>
> If the owner deleted the program because they ran out of disk quota,
> you made sure that _they_ still owned a copy. You did not have a copy.
>
> I'd say this is a reason to restrict link() to the file owner.

Alright for _quota_ systems, but on non-quota systems this is the ticket
to disk space savings. (Otherwise the users will cp the file n times on
the disk when this is unnecessary.)

--
William Burrow -- Fredericton Area Network, New Brunswick, Canada
Copyright 1996 William Burrow

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.071 / U:1.316 seconds]