    SubjectRe: performance tweak for web/file servers

    On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Jonathan A. Davis wrote:

    > Below is the original(?) message. (for those who were wondering how to get
    > it). It patched, compiled and booted cleanly for me (patched against
    > 2.0.27 and some simple mods), but your mileage may vary. BTW, if there is
    > an updated/newer patch out there, please let me know. You can also get
    > this patch via ftp to:
    > I didn't write it. I haven't even tested it. If it screws up on you,
    > it's not my fault. BUT I'll give you lots of sympathy as I'll probably be
    > in the same condition.
    > I'm testing this using INN 1.5. Since we receive around 2.1 GB/day, I'll
    > probably find out quickly if there is a problem.
    > May the luck that seems to favor the foolish smile kindly on me. :-)

    Why not incorporate it in kernel, and throw it away as unofficial patch? I
    personally don't like these, but no_atime seems to be very pretty feature. I
    tested it - works fine, but, wow, whassa difference! For inn, thereis a
    noticeable speedup - not less that 30%. My system runs inn 1.4 and receives
    a little (2.5mb) news per day, but there is a lot of nntp readers.

    Linus: how d'you think ?

    > Jonathan A. Davis | Academic Systems Analyst | Hattiesburg/Gulf Park/Stennis

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:9.648 seconds]