SubjectRe: Proposal: restrict link(2)
Date

> Since this is a quota issue, let's just focus on that: If QUOTA's are
> enabled, we restrict hard link to the owner. Otherwise quota is non-viable.

it's not only quota but also e.g. disk accounting which is sometimes
done using other tools and not the quota statistics...

and there are permission problems when access is (or should be) restricted by
underlying directories

and there are possible vulnerabilities by broken SUID tools...

why are you all advovating for a feature where noone could mention
any real use so far ?

and I've not seen a statement that POSIX really requires them.
and even if it would without a really good rationale and reasonable
applications in mind, I'd say break POSIX for the sake of the problems
mentioned above...

Harald
--
All SCSI disks will from now on ___ _____
be required to send an email notice 0--,| /OOOOOOO\

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.124 / U:0.120 seconds]