SubjectRe: Union file system

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, D. Chiodo wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Keith Owens wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 00:30:24 +1100 (EST)
> > From: Keith Owens <kaos@edison.dialix.com.au>
> > To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> > Subject: Union file system
> >

> > Does anybody know of a union file system for Linux? Alternatively any
> > writeups on why it is/is not a good idea?
> >
> > Looking for a way to take multiple levels of data, some on cdrom, some on
> > network, some on disk and make it look like a single level. All updates
> > should be written to the top level.
>
> Symlinks? Mount all the cd, network, disk, etc, then make symlinks from
> whereyou want you everything to appear to wherever the appropriate files
> are...

I heard something about a "translucent" file system once. Like you
could mount a cdrom and a hard disk partition at the same mount
point. Then when you untar a file on the cdrom it is written to
the disk partition. I suppose there would be other uses too. Was
this fantasy or is this actually being done somewhere?

Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.130 / U:0.132 seconds]