    SubjectRe: Please don't beat me up (was Re: Bugs and wishes in memory management area)

    On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Mike Jagdis wrote:

    > > IMHO, the problem is that once a pointer is given out, you cannot
    > > reogranize your logical->physical memory mappings. With the page table
    > > solution you can. It's a CPU hardware feature that is hard to emulate.
    > But you don't need to reorganize, you don't need paging and you don't
    > need to emulate it.

    i dont get it [it must be me]. How would you allocate 2 consecutive pages
    in this 5-page pool which has 3 free pages? :

    page 1 -------> free
    page 2 -------> used by the Ethernet driver
    page 3 -------> free
    page 4 -------> used by the SCSI driver
    page 5 -------> free

    [ sure we are not at page granularity with the buddy system, but the
    original poster proposed an >additional< mechanizm for multipage
    vmalloc() calls, maybe by using paging ]

    now i need 2 pages in the above situation ... from an IRQ handler, to get
    8192 bytes off the networking card for example. How would you do it?

    -- mingo

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:16.100 seconds]