SubjectRe: Linux doing "cooperative multitasking"?

Wayne Schlitt wrote:

Cooperative multitasking is only a severely broken method when it is
> used for the wrong purposes. The same can be said about must about
> any other method.
>
> I recently finished a project where I used cooperative multitasking
> for the first time and I found it to be a big plus, because:
>
> * I couldn't afford the 16k of memory that the preemptive
> multitasking kernel took up. (This was an embedded system that
> had 64k of memory.)
>
> * cooperative multitasking simplifies a lot of the interprocess
> communication problems. You don't have to worry about semaphores
> as much since you know that you won't lose control until you say
> so.

Very true. Embedded Systems mag ran a great article by Do-while Jones
on the virtues of cooperative multitasking for implementing real-time
control systems. Changed my mind on the subject at any rate! Does
anyone else read ES?

Steve

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.063 / U:0.420 seconds]