    SubjectRe: Linux doing "cooperative multitasking"?

    Wayne Schlitt wrote:
    Cooperative multitasking is only a severely broken method when it is
    > used for the wrong purposes. The same can be said about must about
    > any other method.
    > I recently finished a project where I used cooperative multitasking
    > for the first time and I found it to be a big plus, because:
    > * I couldn't afford the 16k of memory that the preemptive
    > multitasking kernel took up. (This was an embedded system that
    > had 64k of memory.)
    > * cooperative multitasking simplifies a lot of the interprocess
    > communication problems. You don't have to worry about semaphores
    > as much since you know that you won't lose control until you say
    > so.

    Very true. Embedded Systems mag ran a great article by Do-while Jones
    on the virtues of cooperative multitasking for implementing real-time
    control systems. Changed my mind on the subject at any rate! Does
    anyone else read ES?

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.017 / U:2.124 seconds]