SubjectRe: eip in 2.0.26

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Greg Siekas wrote:

> Anyone else seen this, I got this under a very heavy load of file i/o and
> computation. I had notice Linus' email about Pentium chips with a
> stepping of 5, and that's what I've got so I booted with mem=nopentium and
> I got this EIP while running my code.

Hmm. I've been having some weird problems with a system. It's been giving
me OOPSes and then after that every time a process started, another OOPS,
until I hit the reset button. I saw this message, checked my
/proc/cpuinfo, and lo and behold! it's a pentium with stepping of 5.

Unfortunately, I missed Linus' warning about these chips. Can somebody
fill me in? Do I need to replace the chip or is there some workaround?

| Nathan Bryant | Resident Unix Geek |
| nathan@burgessinc.com | Burgess Business Solutions, Inc. |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.048 / U:0.656 seconds]