    SubjectRe: IP Checksumming

    On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

    > My numbers agree with Tom May's give or take 5%. His code craps all
    > over yours both with the data in the cache, in the L2 cache or in
    > main memory (generally its in L1 cache, but with DMA devices its in main
    > memory).
    > Alan
    That's what I really enjoy about persons who know everything. They usually
    show great intellectual capacity. Use the Pentium's internal cycle-counter
    to test something before you state "His code craps all over yours...".

    As I stated in the beginning of the conversation, that is now getting way
    too tired, test whatever you want with the cycle-counter and the interrupts
    OFF so you test only that code. Then repeat your last statement.

    Dick Johnson
    Richard B. Johnson
    Project Engineer
    Analogic Corporation
    Voice : (508) 977-3000 ext. 3754
    Fax : (508) 532-6097
    Modem : (508) 977-6870
    Ftp :
    Email :,
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.11 on an i586 machine.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:55.840 seconds]