SubjectRE: Q: IrDA compliant drivers ?

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Flynn, Jason, FLYNNJS wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got Two Thinkpads (755CX & 760EL). Just use the 'ps2.exe' program
> to turn the IrDA port on and Linux sees it as a ttyS. I've run PPP between
> the two, but it runs like a pig.
>
> >If you happen to not know what IrDA is, see http://www.irda.org/.
>
> An abortion ?
>
> PPP doesn't really like the fact that the receiver can see the tranmitted
> frames
> so you get loads (at least as many as you send) of dropped frames. I'm going
> try SLIP. Can form a campaign for IP over Infra-red... IrDA seem to want
> lots of
> money for re-inventing a link, network, and application layers !

You only should need one layer, basically a half-duplex converter that
will see if there is any transmission and not transmit until it is done,
and eat the echoed characters. So PPP packets would be delayed until the
session was clear, then sent (maybe with some collision detection and
retransmit).

I started doing something with this, but all I had were adaptec IRDA
adapters, and they don't work like their manual says (and come up in a
slow baud rate, and send breaks which linux doesn't like when I attempt
to program them).

tz@execpc.com
finger tz@execpc.com for PGP key

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.020 / U:0.968 seconds]