SubjectRe: unlink system call on directories - Bug + fix

that has been posted as well.

In newsgroup linux.dev.kernel alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) wrote:
> > The same filesystem, exported from SunOS 4.1.1, mounted on SunOS 4.1.4
> > does not allow directories to be unlinked. So I conclude that the
> > server is not wrong. The Linux kernel should know that the file is a
> > directory and not even try to unlink it since it knows it is not
> > allowed.
>
> Very simply - incorrect.
>
> All authentication in NFS is done by the server. The fact Sun NFS client
> checks it is if anything a bug in their NFS client since another NFS
> implementation is free to allow unlink of directories.

I see your point of view here, that the client (Linux kernel) should
just ask for things to be done and the server (SunOS kernel) should
reply that it can't be done. The only trouble with this is that the
SunOS bug is not what a programmer expects and we can change the Linux
kernel, not the SunOS one.

> If you can also dump stuff into lost+found on 4.1.4 then report it to Sun,
> if you can't them upgrade your prehistoric 4.1.1 box and see if it sorts
> it out.

I just checked today and SunOS 4.1.4 does appear to have the same problem.

--
Andrew.
Andrew M. Bishop amb@gedanken.demon.co.uk

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.062 / U:0.448 seconds]