    SubjectRe: Linus using MIME ??? (was: Linux-2.1.7)

    >Hi Linus,
    >what happened that you're using this ugly "QUOTED-PRINTABLE" encoding
    >for your mail ??? I'm still "mime-free" and I hate seeing all these
    >nasty equal signes in mails, esp. in *your* mails.
    >> From: Linus Torvalds <>
    >> To:,
    >> Subject: Linux-2.1.7
    >*please* change this back to good old plain ASCII...

    My copy of this message was fine. What is probably happening is that
    an intermediate mail gateway (or worse: a list exploder) transforms
    the mail from readable into quoted printable.

    This is for instance the case for all mail received by .fr addresses:
    the greeting from the exploder in Strasbourg apparently doesn't please
    vger, which then reacts by transforming all mails into QP, even if
    they started out readable :-( This is doubly offensive, because:
    1. AFAIK, the exploder in Strasbourg _only_ serves France.
    2. In France, the vast majority of (knowledgeable) users is _against_
    QP. (Other countries, such as Finland and Sweden seem to be less
    opposed to QP).

    Complaints to the list maintainer didn't help. Indeed, zmailer's
    author is radically pro-QP, and has more clout than the average list
    user. For those who don't know: zmailer is the MTA which is used by
    vger. Vger uses zmailer instead of sendmail, because it better
    handles the load imposed by the lists.

    If you don't want QP messages, do as I do: get a address,
    and subscribe to the list through that address ;-) Yes, this somewhat
    defeats the exploder system, but if enough ppl do it, maybe the
    "powers that be" get the message.

    Happy Linuxing,

    (P.S. Actually the main reason I got a poboxes address is because I'll
    be moving soon. The QP-free mailing lists were only a welcome
    additional benefit ;-) )

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.021 / U:6.824 seconds]