SubjectRe: EIDE more reliable than SCSI?

Interesting question. I learned a long time ago -- about 1.2.28
(a.out) that IDE and SCSI didn't mix well -- particularly with a tape
drive on the SCSI bus. Is that because tapes can't
disconnect/reconnect? Can your CD writer? Or is it an INT 13 problem?

My problem was always on _reads_ from the tape and a hard reset was
generally the solution. I would _really_ appreciate someone explaining
how IDE, EIDE and SCSI can or can't work together.

Is tagged queueing part of the problem? (Free BSD, doesn't support it,
I think, and I had the same problem with it -- except it trashed the
disk.)

-- Jay