SubjectRe: News gateway problem (fwd)
Date

Forwarded message:

> I still think the gateway and archives should obscure addresses.
> I find spam in my mailbox every day, all of it because this list
> exposes my address on usenet.
>
> Does anybody remember why we use a mailing list instead of a
> newsgroup? Because vger has too much extra CPU power? :-)
> No, because we like to avoid spam and dumb questions. Oh, and
> because email is faster in theory.

One possiblity, in the event that David Miller has too much free time on
his hands, would be to implement some sort of anonymous remailer on vger
for people subscribed to mailing lists. Then when I posted something to
the mailing lists, my address could be munged to something like:

jlnance.vgerlst@vger.rutgers.edu

If vger got mail addressed like that, it would forward it to me. The
advantage here is that some sort of global spam filter could toss out
spam before it got delivered to most users.

Jim

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.029 / U:0.052 seconds]