SubjectRe: RFC: A generic pointer protocol
Date

Hi.

> As long as we're setting up a new protocol, why not reserve a space for
> tactile feedback from the device?

Sorry, I don't know exactly what you mean (indeed, what are computer games? :)

If `tactile feedback' is a number, it can be encoded as Z: this
is for example what I did with the wacom tablet. If it is
a single bit it can be encoded as an extra button.

Well, if it doesn't fit, these' a `device-specific' protocol extension:
applications can retrieve extra binary data once they know which is the
underlaying physical device (the name/features of the device can be
asked to the kernel module).

The basic idea behind kmouse is that applications reading a pointer
are mainly interested in having information, without too much care
about *how* the information is generated. Otherwise you have
situations like "this program needs that pointer, and that program
needs this pointer". The device-specific hook is to be used when
application and pointer match and extra features can be expoited, but
what if I want to drive a car and I don't have a turning wheel?

My own X is currently reading the tablet as it was a mouse (with no gpm
overhead) and I can handwrite in the xpaint canvas.

I added an almost-formal protocol specification to the kmouse package,
and the wacom tablet is fully supported (has anyone some spare strange
pointer to loan? :).

Kmouse-0.47.tar.gz is available from
tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/ALPHA/kmouse (currently in incoming...)
iride.unipv.it:/pub/linux
ftp.systemy.it:/pub/develop

Regards
/alessandro
--
__ o La forza dei forti sta nel traversare le traversie con occhio sereno
_`\<, (Paperino)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.030 / U:7.216 seconds]