SubjectRe: Linux & ECC memory

On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> One problem with all the ECC stuff is there seems to be no standard for
> handling it. I know for example how to get the fault address of a few
> motherboards but not all. [...] The PC world appears to lack a coherent
> and unified approach to the issues.

Well, there is no time like the present. Consider this a feature request,
if anyone wants to fool around with high end hardware.

There may well indeed be no standard, but that shouldn't stop up from
trying.

> The Pentium Pro handles some of this more nicely and generates machine check
> exceptions on dodgy events (something mainframe folks take for granted)

That's good to hear (and shows where the P6 line is really targetted.)

To change the subject a bit, I've been assuming that a P6 would be an
excellent platform to run Linux on. Is this correct, and is there anything
I need to watch out for?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.684 / U:0.084 seconds]