SubjectKernel panic with 2.1.9

Hi Everyone -

I know that the Linux kernel 2.1.x is a development system but I wanted to
test the new kernel on my linux box to see if I could notice some speed
improvement. So I downloaded the required software installed it and then
downloaded and compiled the new kernel. When I tried to reboot I got the
following message:

hda: IBM-DALA-3540, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, ox3f6 on irq 14
Partition check:
hda: driver not present
VFS: Cannot open root device 03:01
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

I suspect I made a mistake during the kernel config process and either
selected an inappropriate driver for my root disk or selected the correct
driver as a module and not statically linked into the kernel. Right now
I'm at school and I won't be able to hack at this problem till I get home
but I would like some opinions from others who have used this kernel
before. Also, during the config there were some options with kernel 2.1.9
that I was not familiar with and I was wondering where I could get some
documentation describing the new features.

I just recently subscribed to this list so please respond to my email
address just in case the subscribe message to majordomo did not go
through.

Thanks...
Juan Casero
email: jcaser01@fiu.edu

- Redeemed by Linux

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.116 / U:0.112 seconds]