    SubjectRe: Oopses with 2.1.8

    Thanks for your help, God :)

    Here is the call trace in symbolic form. This particular oops
    came very early (while booting), sometime i am able to use
    2.1.8 for 5 - 10 minutes.

    ksymoops is suposed to give the call trace automagically,
    but mine don't :( (libg++

    c01259a5 - unlock_buffer
    c01a6313 - end_scsi_request
    c01a67e9 - rw_intr
    c01a2ac4 - scsi_done
    c01ae685 - ncr_complete
    c01ae6aa - ncr_complete
    c01ae70f - ncr_wakeup
    c0111680 - timer_bh
    c01ad621 - ncr_intr
    c01b1753 - ncr53c8xx_intr
    c010c8ca - do_fast_IRQ
    c010c391 - fast_IRQ12_interrupt
    c0109654 - sys_idle
    c010a7e8 - system_call
    c0109348 - init
    c01091c3 - start_kernel
    c01c5e5d - _etext
    c0116c08 - it_real_fn

    Lots of ncrBsd stuff, I didn't supposed ncrBsd to be guilty since
    I was using the same version (1.14b) with 2.1.7 without any problem..
    I change my mind. On one of my 2.1.8 compile, I had applied the
    patch 1.14b -> 1.14c, but it still oops & crash.

    > However, the "funny" thing is that the same pointer should have been used
    > at the top of the for() loop that the test is inside, so the exception
    > should have happened much earlier. That's why I'd like to see the
    > symbolic version of the call trace, because I suspect the panic comes
    > from something jumping through a corrupt pointer, and I'd like to know
    > who the jumper is..
    > > What are thos nop'ses replacing the movl?? Self modifying code? Shitty DRAM?
    > > Something in kernel space writing stuff around?
    > No, it's just that the kernel panic doesn't give more than 20 bytes of
    > instructions, and the disassembler will give bogus disassembly for the
    > last bytes due to incomplete partial instructions.

    Ok ok, i will sleep better :)

    > Oh, and you might just try out 2.1.9, which has some fixes to the
    > networking code, maybe it makes a difference..
    > Linus

    Sure i will, but first i will recompile 2.1.8 with ncrBsd trimmed down
    (5MHz sync, 4 tag/queue)

    Regards, Philippe

    Philippe Strauss, CH-1092 Belmont

    Email: <>

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.021 / U:23.296 seconds]