SubjectRe: 2.0.21 Kernel Hang (Console Selection Bug?)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> I'm running linux 2.0.21 and gpm 1.06 on a 100x30 text console, with a
> 3 button Microsoft protocol mouse.
>
> Copying a screenful of zeros from one text console to another (both
> running bash). Then before pressing enter repeating two more times
> jams my console solid (The speed of succession may play a factor). I
> can switch virtual console but nothing else. The top process I have
> running even appears to stop. I can't test logging via telnet or a
> serial port :(. This doesn't leave any indications in the logs and my
> only recouse is to hit the reset button.

There is a _serious_ problem with the selection wait-queues that was fixed in
2.0.24 (and it's surprising: the bug has been there just about "forever", and
we happened to find it only by accident just before .24).

I'd suggest everybody who uses gpm upgrade to .24 (that also fixes the
oversized ping packet problem, of course, so there are other reasons to
upgrade too).

NOTE! 2.0.24 breaks binary modules. Sorry about that, but there was nothing
to be done about it, it had to happen to make TCP work correctly against some
ka9q-based stacks. Make sure you recompile all your modules when you upgrade.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.053 / U:0.032 seconds]