SubjectRe: unusual startup messages
> ->I have been getting this unusual problem since late 1.3.x .. it started
> ->when i decided to put my floppy driver into a module .. it does not cause
> ->any problems, but it is a slight annoyance.
> ->
> ->ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ->ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> ->Partition check:
> -> hda:Started kswapd v
> -> hda1 hda2 hda3
> ->VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

It seemed that people missed my point in this startup messages, why does
"Started kswapd v" appear WITHIN the partition check? it used to
appear above it, but when i modularized my floppy driver, the two

> ->one more question, is steganography and DES/IDEA crypt going to be
> ->incorporated into the kernel in 2.1.x, or are there problems with having
> ->cryptography in the kernel?
> I don't think Linus is in favour this this. As IMHO this can be entirely
> done in user space, and we don't need an big, bloated kernel. But even we
> do it, what would be use of it? There is already suppport for encrypted
> volumes, the secure rcp/telnet/ etc are alredy done by ssh stuff, and we
> are not going to crypt memory ;)

i agree that having the crypto operations in user space would be a good
idea, i have played with IDEA encryption patches, and there is a noticable
slowdown when the cryptography is occuring. but, shouldn't hooks be
present perhaps for encryption to be handled by a process, feeding the
loop device? perhaps and idea similar to the userfs idea, but for
devices, a process which could be setup to control the I/O for a device
such a process could feed a steganographed filesystem or an encrypted
filesystem to a device, which could then be mounted .. i had this idea
several months ago, but i did not have the free time to code it,
unfortunately i still dont have much free time :(

Gerald Britton <>
Walt Whitman Internet System Administrator