    SubjectRe: unusual startup messages
    > ->I have been getting this unusual problem since late 1.3.x .. it started
    > ->when i decided to put my floppy driver into a module .. it does not cause
    > ->any problems, but it is a slight annoyance.
    > ->
    > ->ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
    > ->ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    > ->Partition check:
    > -> hda:Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2
    > -> hda1 hda2 hda3
    > ->VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

    It seemed that people missed my point in this startup messages, why does
    "Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2" appear WITHIN the partition check? it used to
    appear above it, but when i modularized my floppy driver, the two
    intermixed.

    > ->one more question, is steganography and DES/IDEA crypt going to be
    > ->incorporated into the kernel in 2.1.x, or are there problems with having
    > ->cryptography in the kernel?
    >
    > I don't think Linus is in favour this this. As IMHO this can be entirely
    > done in user space, and we don't need an big, bloated kernel. But even we
    > do it, what would be use of it? There is already suppport for encrypted
    > volumes, the secure rcp/telnet/ etc are alredy done by ssh stuff, and we
    > are not going to crypt memory ;)

    i agree that having the crypto operations in user space would be a good
    idea, i have played with IDEA encryption patches, and there is a noticable
    slowdown when the cryptography is occuring. but, shouldn't hooks be
    present perhaps for encryption to be handled by a process, feeding the
    loop device? perhaps and idea similar to the userfs idea, but for
    devices, a process which could be setup to control the I/O for a device
    such a process could feed a steganographed filesystem or an encrypted
    filesystem to a device, which could then be mounted .. i had this idea
    several months ago, but i did not have the free time to code it,
    unfortunately i still dont have much free time :(

    --
    Gerald Britton <gbritton@whitman.gmu.edu>
    Walt Whitman Internet System Administrator

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.021 / U:32.092 seconds]